Genuine Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces
Have you heard about the benefits of Genuine Baltic Amber Jewelry for babies? Five years ago, I was laughed at for putting a baltic amber teething necklace on my baby girl and now everyone is doing it! Why? Because it works. Amber teething necklaces are known to relieve teething ailments. Some parents (like me) swear by Baltic Amber. My little one popped teeth that were a total surprise to me because she never had any signs of teething while wearing the necklace. Other parents don't remain convinced but figure it worth a shot since amber necklaces are just so darn cute (and totally non toxic).
Amber is a tree resin from the Baltic region of Europe. Amber works by releasing minuscule amounts of succinic acid, an analgesic substance, which is absorbed through contact with warm skin. Baltic Amber is made up of 3-8% succinic acid. This is some of the highest concentrations of succinic acid found in nature and the lighter colors of amber (milky, butter colors) usually have a higher concentration of succinic acid.
Real amber can be identified with the following tests*:
- Copal (fake amber) will dissolve in acetone. Place one drop on the surface of the amber you are testing and allow it to evaporate, then place a second drop on the same area. Copal (fake amber) will become tacky; genuine amber will remain unaffected by contact with acetone.
- Rub the amber you are testing vigorously on a soft cloth. Genuine amber may omit a faint resinous fragrance but Copal may actual begin to soften and the surface become sticky. Amber will also become heavily charged with static electricity and will easily pick up small pieces of loose paper.
- Mix 6 teaspoons of standard table salt with 1 cup of luke warm water. Stir until completely dissolved. Amber should float in such a mixture and some copals together with various plastics sink.
- Geniune amber can contain trapped Insect or plant pieces and are an excellent indicator of a piece’s authenticity. Frequently present in Baltic amber are tiny stellate hairs which are release by oak buds during their early growth and some time after,
- Use a sharp knife try to shave off a tiny piece of the amber from an unobtrusive section. Real amber fractures and splinters while plastic and polymers actual cut and tiny shaved pieces can be removed without any splintering of the material.
Hazelwood Teething Necklaces
Hazelwood Jewelry works by reducing the acidity which creates a more alkaline environment in your body through direct contact with your skin. This may help to prevent and remedy many of the symptoms caused by higher acid levels like teething pain, ulcers, acid reflux and heartburn.
Baby healing jewelry is always designed with safety in mind. They are individually knotted between each bead to prevent a huge pile of beads in the event of a break. They are also small enough to pass through the digestive tract and also small enough to not be considered a choking hazard. Many companies now design the necklaces with safety clasps as well.
Reputable brands include Amberizon, Momma Goose, Healing Hazel, Inspired by Finn and Hazelaid and if you want genuine Baltic Amber then do your research and buy from a reputable brand. Be especially wary of sellers slapping their logo on an organza bag containing an "amber necklace" from an unidentified manufacturer and selling on Ebay or Amazon because you do not know the real brand name and it could be glass,plastic or some other substance.
*Adapted from Amberizon.com